Tuesday, September 4, 2012

The in-betweens

Dear Blog Friends,
It can't have escaped your notice that I haven't been blogging regularly these past few months and my visits to your blogs have been way too few and far between. It has been a choice I had to make out of necessity, as I haven't had much 'me' time since I don't remember when. I have a hard time wrapping my head around all the twists and turns of 2012, so far.  It's been challenging, it has been worth it, it has taught me a new and deeper understanding of patience. It has brought me closer to friends and family near and far, and it has shaken the foundations of my sources of comfort. And it has even brought an unexpected  positive turn in my health. It hasn't been easy but it seems that the hard work is about to pay off.

Despite all the goings on around here, I have not forgotten you and do miss you. And I look forward to sharing all these new silver linings with you.

This makes me think of a joke my friend Elena shared with me, when we first met:
 Due to austerity measures having been imposed due to the worsening financial crisis, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off, until further notice...
:)

Endings and new beginnings are never easy, and it feels that this year has all been about that uncomfortable and unsettling transition time 'in between': the old chapter not yet resolved, and the new one starting to reveal its clues and pushing you forward. 
And all this time, as I have been stretched and compressed, I have been waiting for some kind of version of normal to come along, a place and time when  I could get back to stitching and blogging :) 
Am I the only one longing for that beautiful and blissful state called 'Routine'? In my case, a routine in this brand new chapter, which now will include planting a new cottage garden and supervising six year old's homework! In Greek! 
oh... 

The boys will be starting elementary school next week. An exciting (and somewhat terrifying) time in our little family's life. Being their mom and seeing them grow up to the little men they are today, has been the greatest honour in my life. I can honestly tell you, that I like them, enjoy spending time together and laugh so hard at the goings on of those young brains. They are happy, sensitive, with just the right amount of naughty to keep things interesting, :)

This also means an official end to our 2012 summer, the summer when I first visited my ancestral home of Spain, and the summer we nearly completed our new home.

Something we used to sing as kids:
We zijn er bijna, we zijn er bijna
Maar nog niet helemaaaaal!!!

Translation from Dutch:
We are nearly there, we are nearly there
but not entirely...

So, I'll see you when I get there!
:)



Big hug and kiss, especially to all of you that sent me the most beautiful emails, notes and tokens of your love and friendship during this long dry spell, Thanks again.
with Love Always,
Valentina








24 comments:

  1. A hug and kiss right back at you, Valentina! So nice to hear from you - Godspeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so good to see you post , I had been thinking about you and wondering if all was well , take care and enjoy your family , they always come first :-) hugs Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that is the weirdest thing! I was looking at some farmers wife blocks and thinking of you, wondering how you were getting on nd how is your home progressing?

    So lovely to hear from you and know you and your darling boys are well.

    XXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. lieve Valentina wat goed om weer wat van je te horen ik denk nog vaak terug aan die fijn dag met jouw op je mooie eiland Cyprus je hebt ons veel laten zien van Nicosia en je mooie huis in aanbouw je was zo enthousiast en zo gezellig .en de regen die dag ik zal het niet gauw vergeten .
    heel veel geluk met je kinderen en je bijna nieuwe huis
    veel liefs en een dikke knuffel
    Emmy en Rinus

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good morning dear Friend. Wonderful to see you visiting. Change needs to be embraced and routine will follow. You are doing just that and I am around to support you if I can .Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back!! Nice to 'see' you. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have missed you my friend. I'm sorry your life has been so hectic. Greek homework - yikes!! A positive turn in health sounds good though. I look forward to the time when you can get back to your lovely projects and share your progress :0)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I nearly fell off my chair when I saw your post ;)! But it's good to know that everything and everyone is going OK. Good luck for the boys next week. What a big step. Also for you it will bring changes into your daily life to be without them during the day. I hope you'll have some time for sewing again. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. Valentina, een gezellige verrassing om je blogje weer te lezen,fijn dat je de zin weer hebt om ons je quiltwerkjes weer te laten zien.
    Maak wat moois van alles en blijf genieten,Bep

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think of you so often, and pray that God will let you feel my prayers. I hope you can treasure these days - time is precious. Hugs from me to you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good to see a post from you! Yes, you are missed, but we understand that family and home are priorities.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So good to hear from you! Great news you new home is going to be a fine place to live in.
    Sometimes you have to make choices about spending your time.
    Blog and quilt time will be waiting for you in the furture. So no hurry's :-)
    Dikke knuffel

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Sweet Valentina , I truly appreciate your thoughts and feel for your hectic routine that has prevented you from your stitching and quilting ,I also have been too busy to blog and do any stitching. I am excited for your knew home which is nearly finished and I can't wait to see a post about your beautiful garden and that you have moved and enjoying your comfy new home I wish you all the best.xoxo theodora

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Valentina! What a wonderful surprise to see a post from you pop up! Hooray for you making some tough choices and putting your family and your sanity first! Take care - we will always be here! Just think how wonderful it will be to relax in your new home, potter around your new garden and fit in some quiet stitching...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was hoping everything was ok... I hope that light at the end of the tunnel is switched on and you return to some sort of normality soon. Gosh your boys are growing up fast!! I hope you all enjoy your new home and big hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't wait to read your next blog now!
    Where oh where did that weekday morning go?
    Love you my friend xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have been thinking of you and saying a little prayer for you. I knew you were fine, bit very busy. I have been in a similar place in my life. Trying to find a routine also. All is well here. and happy. I have envisioned you at your cottage...

    ReplyDelete
  18. So lovely to hear from you V and all that is flling your life... See you when you get back. Love you xox

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sending Hugs, Love, Prayers and strength..... Sharm xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hugs, miss you...but fully understand that journey to find peace! I'm on the same road...and hope we meet at the end!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my... well said!~ Except, I had no idea that you have had the same kind of year that I have. I only know that I've missed you. Your note has made me feel much better. In many ways. Knowing that you are okay and happy. Knowing that we are at the same place in life at the moment. I'll go hunt for that light switch on my part of the tunnel!~ lol That is a great saying!~ Gosh, you really made me feel so much better. Thank you... BIG HUG. Keep enjoying life. I admire you so.

    ReplyDelete
  22. “The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off until further notice”, actually made me laugh out loud. Congrats on getting ready to send your kids to school! I recently was in this very same predicament and it is terrifying but wonderful all at the same time.

    My Webblog: http://online-phd-uk.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  23. Val maar meteen met de deur in huis....hoe is het nu met je?
    Gaat alles nog voorspoedig en wonen jullie lekker in het nieuwe huis?
    Graag hoor ik van je.

    Warme groetjes,
    Marga♥

    ReplyDelete
  24. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! Please, feel free to write in EspaƱol, Nederlands or Papiamento if that is easier for you . And I will try to answer any questions as soon as possible, as long as I have access to your e-mail.

My Patchwork Family Through Adoption

A Bit of Africa and China
Came knocking on our door
And in a home where there was longing
Now empty rooms no more

Like a Quilt of Many Colours
Our Family stitched together into One
God's Love and Grace for us Abundant
In the Miracle of our Sons

Written by Valentina
2006