Friday, August 19, 2011

Sad news and new beginnings

I am shocked and heartbroken at the news of Marieke's passing away. We shared the Klosjes quilt journey together and many One Flower Wednesdays. We also shared many stories about raising young boys and will never forget seeing a picture of her Klosjes quilt in Quilt&Zo magazine. I was so proud of her. Imagine this was just her second quilt!
Marieke... like we say in the eastern orthodox church: May your Memory Be Eternal. And through your quilts, the work of your hands, I hope comfort will be imparted to your husband and sons.


This past week has been such a buzz of excitement with Nadine, Elena and Kathinca in planning and getting ready for Farmer's wife. So after deciding on fabrics, preparing of templates and late night piecing, I have my first two blocks. Kathinca had graciously invited me to join her and Marga to report our progress on Fridays. But I never thought I would be showing them to you, this morning, under such sad circumstances. But seeing that I had chosen dutch colours and 2 boys for the second block, I can only say: Marieke, these are for you!

I will close the comments out of respect, and hope you can instead go provide some quilter's comfort to Marieke's husband and sons here.


I am so grateful to have friends like you, and days like this makes quilting so much more relevant and important.

No comments:

My Patchwork Family Through Adoption

A Bit of Africa and China
Came knocking on our door
And in a home where there was longing
Now empty rooms no more

Like a Quilt of Many Colours
Our Family stitched together into One
God's Love and Grace for us Abundant
In the Miracle of our Sons

Written by Valentina
2006